I had this on my headphones on the way home from work and I almost started skipping. As Pitchfork put it, It was true before the insane video, and it's true now: "O.N.E." moves like liquid. It's easy to play spot-the-influence with Yeasayer's sunny, joyous hippie-dance jam (African guitar ripples? Electro-synth chatter?), but it's not particularly fun, or productive. It's the kind of thing you give yourself over to, a song that wafts in on a cloud and demands that you ride away with it. Even considering its antecedents, "O.N.E."  seems to exist outside genre, a transmission from some pop future where all strains of music melt together into some continually mutating whole.

1 comment:

  1. I love this song. I also love their song Rome... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ixCijaJtdY ... It makes me think of a fat kid walking down the street every time I hear the beginning of it. Great band!

    ReplyDelete